For many people, nothing tastes better than taking a bite off a juicy, flavorful burger. It’s everybody’s favorite sandwich and it’s an appetizing entree whether you’re grilling in a backyard or cooking up summer barbecues. I for one am a religious hamburger eater, so much so that I grill meats every Saturday to satisfy my cravings.
It’s the meat that will define how a burger tastes. If you know how to grill your patties right, you’ll nail down the perfect burger that’ll make everyone’s mouths water! Here I will teach you step by step on how to grill burgers on a propane grill and share a simple, delicious recipe!
First off, you will need:
Follow these steps to nail down the perfect tasting patty:
1. Prepare your grill by cleaning the grill grates. Grab a non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle evenly on the cooking surface.
2. Heat up your grill. The ideal temperature for cooking burgers is 150 degrees Fahrenheit so make sure to check the temp first before grilling.
3. In a large bowl, place the ground beef and lightly season with pepper and salt. Gently fold the meat to combine the seasonings together. Do not over-handle the patties as they will result in a dry texture.
4. Round off the patty into a ball and divide it into fours. Take one of the meat and gently press it down to make a patty with a thickness of ¾ inch. Do the same with the three remaining pieces of meat.
5. Go to the grill and check its temperature. Ideally you want to grill burgers on high heat. You can check this by hovering your hand on top of the grill. If you can only hold your hand above it for one second, the burgers are now ready to be grilled.
6. Use a spatula and place the burgers evenly on the grates. Before flipping them over, allow the burgers to turn brown at the bottom. Remember to not press on the burgers because this will remove the juice out of the patties. Grill it for four minutes.
7. Flip the burgers over and let it grill for another four minutes or until the other side of the patty turns brown.
8. And now you’re down! Just turn off the heat and serve the burgers while warm.
Here are a couple tips to ensure a well-grilled patty:
These tips will help you nail that well-grilled patty each time, every time.
Avoid turning the patties multiple times. Flipping the burgers over and over will dry the meat and the juices will be lost. You want to flip the burger only once so that the juices stay intact. For the best tasting burgers I would recommend using 80% lean beef.
If you want to add cheese in the mix, you can used sliced square cheese and place it on top of the burger after flipping it. You can also use a variety of spices for more flavor. Feel free to use cayenne pepper, paprika, and garlic powder to add a bit of kick to the flavor department.
Make sure the grill temperature is on high heat. You want to grill burgers nice, hot, and fast so the juices don’t dry out and for that smokey, tasty flavor.
Before grilling your patties, it’s important to keep a sterile environment and practice good food handling to avoid contamination of any possible illnesses. Wash your hands before handling the patties and clean the grill grates before setting it up and heating it.
When you’re done grilling, turn off the propane grill and never leave any heat source unattended as this may cause accidental fires.
The ideal temperature for cooking burgers is 150 degrees Fahrenheit and above. Undercooked meat may contaminate you with foodborne illnesses.
And that is how to grill burgers on a propane grill! Just use the recipe and follow the steps and you’ll be making tasty burgers in no time!